Fermenting for Beginners 🥬🌶
17 August Evening Session
Mon, 23 Aug 2021 (AEST)
Ever wanted to try your hand at fermenting, but didn't know where to start? 🤷🏼♀️ Maybe it seemed daunting or too time consuming?! Newsflash: fermenting is easy, cheap & requires ZERO special gear! 👌🏻🙅🏼♀️
Join me in this virtual class where I'll break down the basics of fermenting and show you how to make 2 tasty ferments at home. By the end of the session you'll have a jar of sauerkraut and fermented carrots brewing away in your kitchen. No experience needed, this class is 100% newbie friendly! 😊
Ferments have many evidence-based health benefits, including supporting the gut, immune system, and mental health. Ferments are rich in probiotic bacteria, are easier to digest, and are rich in vitamins and minerals too. So why not learn to make these tasty healing foods for yourself?!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Two 500ml glass screw-top jars (clean reused sauce jars are fine, or find at Target, eBay etc)
- 500g cabbage (~1/2 small head) OR 400g cabbage + 100g other firm veggies (e.g. onion, beetroot, carrot)
- 400g whole carrots (~ 5 carrots)
- 2 tsp non-iodized salt (must be non-iodized!)
- Optional: 2-3 teaspoons of spices (fresh or dried) e.g. garlic, dill, cumin, chilli, etc.
I'll walk you through both recipes in real-time (if you'd rather watch first then make later, that's fine too!). You'll receive a digital copy of both recipes, including step-by-step instructions and flavour combinations. Please have the recipe accessible during the class (print or digital). You'll be e-mailed a Zoom link the day of the class (please check your junk mail).
Come brighten up your lockdown & learn a homestead skill that's good for your guts, your wallet and the planet. PJs welcomed, pets welcome, kids welcomed! 🤗 See you there! 👋🏻